We found that your app uses a background mode but does not include the following battery use disclaimer in your Application Description:
“Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.”
It would be appropriate to revise your Application Description to include this disclaimer.
As of this posting, the App Review Guidelines says nothing about a mandatory disclaimer to the end-user in section 2.16.
2.16 Multitasking Apps may only use background services for their intended purposes: VoIP, audio playback, location, task completion, local notifications, etc.
This rejection was for my NYC Bikes App. The app uses your location data to find the closest Citi Bike station with one tap. Of course it uses GPS. To fall in line with Apple’s expectations that iOS 7 apps always stay up to date in the multitasker, background GPS is necessary here so that I can keep the multitasker preview up to date with current information on the closest station. I do include an option for the user to turn it off in settings, and it is off by default.
I think this disclaimer Apple orders me to add is ridiculous and unnecessary. Worse, it sets a precedent for Apple to control the content of your App’s description. Boo Apple, boo. Now that Apple wants editorial power over your App Description, soon we will see disclaimers like this in all Apps:
- Use of telephone services can dramatically increase your daily word count.
- Using this awesome free App may result in the sale of your personal information to advertisers.
- Transmitting information over the internet can dramatically increase the information contained in your NSA profile.
- Downloading this large App may result in one week of use, then one year of wasted hard drive space.
- Excessive Infinity Blade III use around your significant other may result in a relationship termination.
I run a small software company called Urban Apps. It pays the bills so I can take the time to write posts like this one. If you found this posting helpful at all, I would really appreciate it if you would check out my Apps on the iTunes App Store.